Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Beach tv

Quote Originally Posted by lite12 View Post
    Can you get your local channels on this Roku thing?
    Brian, there is a small handful of local news channels from a few cities, but none that I've seen in Jaw Jaw. I didn't check them out as none are in St. Louis, but I'm guessing they are On Demand news programs rather than live. Foxnews and CNBC I notice are live, but since they own the rights to all of their programing, stations like that can do it.

Thanks for the info Bob!!! You are Da Man!!! I am still going to look into this! I would love to get rid of my U Verse. I like U Verse but it is a little expensive and DSL can not match cable internet, but at the same time I hate Comcast with a passion. They have the worst customer service of any company I have ever delt with!
    A village has lost their idiot.....That be me!!!!

I love my Uverse. I have 12 MB download with it and that's easily more than what is needed for streaming HD video. The speeds offered by cable companies like 30, 50, 100 MB are way more than the average home user needs. Those would be speeds for a small business. It would be like having a 6 inch diameter faucet on your kitchen sink. So I wouldn't pay for those extra speeds because it's just bandwidth that you'll never use.

Virtual Local

Uverse here in Louisville sucks. The internet side is ok but the tv part is horrible, it gets choppy and pixllated. Our cable through insight is expensive but worth it.
    Wishing I was gettin' off 65 onto 331 for the final 175 miles.

Can you get your local channels on this Roku thing?
    No you can't.
    The Roku device is just a way to stream content to your tv via the internet.
    Simply connect a phone line (assuming that you have home internet service) to the device or set it up for wireless internet.
    Wireless internet is the way to go since you can move the Roku from one tv to another with little to no effort.
    There are a LOT of channels available, some free and some are subscription based.
    The Roku will allow you to stream Netflix and such.
    One of the most popular channels is Hulu Plus, it has almost all of the current tv shows available and many of the shows are available from season 1, episode 1 up to the current episode.
    There is also the Amazon channel which has new movie releases available on pay-per-view.
    A bad day at the beach beats a good day at work.

Quote Originally Posted by TOMJ View Post
    No you can't.
    The Roku device is just a way to stream content to your tv via the internet.
    Simply connect a phone line (assuming that you have home internet service) to the device or set it up for wireless internet.
    Wireless internet is the way to go since you can move the Roku from one tv to another with little to no effort.
    There are a LOT of channels available, some free and some are subscription based.
    The Roku will allow you to stream Netflix and such.
    One of the most popular channels is Hulu Plus, it has almost all of the current tv shows available and many of the shows are available from season 1, episode 1 up to the current episode.
    There is also the Amazon channel which has new movie releases available on pay-per-view.
    Thanks TomJ......Where in Mayretta are you? We are just north of Woodstock, between Woodstock and Holly Springs.
    Last edited by lite12; 05-12-2012 at 03:13 PM.

Thanks TomJ......Where in Mayretta are you? We are just north of Woodstock, between Woodstock and Holly Springs.
    We're in the cess pool of south Cobb, in the Milford Church / Austell Rd area.
    A bad day at the beach beats a good day at work.

Virtual Local

I got my roku today and I am already hooked and can't wait to cut my cable off. I got a refurb 1080p model from woot for $59 and I must say the beach tv in hd is way better than looking at it on my computer or phone. Thanks Bob
    Wishing I was gettin' off 65 onto 331 for the final 175 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by TOMJ View Post
    We're in the cess pool of south Cobb, in the Milford Church / Austell Rd area.
    Trust me!!! Woodstock is not getting much better!!! Time to move a little north!! LOL!!!